SSD Data Recovery
Over the past 2 years the number of SSD (Solid Sate Drives) being sent to us to for data recovery has rise dramatically. These used to represent around 5% of recovery cases but that figure now exceeds 40%. Recovery of an SSD is significantly different to traditional mechanical drives, there are no heads to clean or swap and no platters to scratch and no need for a clean room to work on the device. Problems tend to fall into just 3 categories, electrical failure, controller failure or degraded NAND.
SATA SSD devices
All SATA SSD devices which we are able to offer advanced support on using our recovery tools can now recovered with a significantly reduced, unlimited capacity flat recovery cost service.
At the present time NVME SSD drives have very little support within commercial data recovery tools, our options for recovery are limited to logical and electrical problems.
Advanced Support Drives
- ADATA– SP550,SU650,SU800
- AMD – Radeon R3, Radeon R5 , Radeon R7
- Aspacer – As350
- Corsair – Force LX, Nova , Force LS, Neutron, Extreme
- Crucial – MX100, MX200, M500 , M550,M4,C300, BX100,BX500, V4, MI225
- DEXP – M6
- Gigabyte – GFTSS31
- Goodram – CX300, S4OOU, IROM
- Intel – 320,510, 710 , X25, X18
- Kingdain – S200
- Kinspec – PA25 , P3
- Kingston – SSDNow V100,SSDNow UV300,HyperX Savage,A400
- Lexar – Professional 3400x
- Lite-on – PH4, PH6,MU3
- Micron – C300, c400
- OCZ – Vector, Vector 150, Vector, 180, Vertex 450, Vertex 460, Vertex 460A, Trion 100
- Patriot – Blaze, Blast, Spark, Burt, P200
- Plexstor – M5S, M5 Pro, M5 Pro Extreme, M3, M3 Pro,M6V, S2C
- Samsung – CM871, 850, 840EVO, 840,830,470, MLC SSD
- Sandisk – Genesis, SSD Plus, Ultra Plus , ULTRA II, Vulcan, X300
- Seagate – Fast SSD, Onetouch SSD, 600
- Silicon Power – Slim S55 , Slim S60, A56
- SmartBuy – Jolt, Ignition 2, S9m, Revival,Firestone,Ignition 4, Revival 2, S11T.
- Trancend – 220S, 370S, ESD230C
- Western Digital – Blue, Green
Advanced SupportDevice Repair & Recovery
Logical Data Recovery
No Data - No Fee
All prices include VAT.
Signs of a Failing SSD
If this is your primary Windows drive you may get random blue screens, window may lock up or when you reboot your computer you bios reports No hard drive or hard drive missing. If the drive just stores your data as a secondary drive you may notice it slowing down dramatically, having 100% utilisation or turning raw or uninitialised. Never run any sort of file based repair tool on an SSD device you need the data from that could be failing, there is a very small window for recovery and running theses tools may push the drive beyond this.
Common SATA SSD Failure Modes
This is perhaps one of the easiest failures to fault find and fix. Each drive contains hundreds of tiny SMD components and like anything cheaply produced these components fail over time, or when they are subjected to the incorrect voltage. These tiny components less than a millimetre in size can be individually checked by hand and replaced using a hot air rework station if needed. Failures of capacitors, fuses and diodes are common especially when an incorrect voltage has been applied.
This is perhaps the most common fault we see. The drive controller is essential the brains of the drive, if there’s a problem with any part of the rest it is the controller which shuts down. This is even done by some manufacturers intentionally to prevent more serious damage to the NAND. Our data recovery software providers have constructed a vast library of SSD firmware and are able to interact with the controller and even emulate certain functions. When a controller is supported there is a good chance we can work with the controller and recreate a path to your data.
This is the worst case for potential data recovery. If the chips where your data is held are themselves failing, recovery chances are dramatically reduced. We have developed a number of custom hardware solutions which allow us to control critical conditions such as temperature and voltage on the device in an attempt to maximise the potential for recovering data from chips which are in a degraded state.